Saturday, August 17, 2013

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, & Violet...

I cried last night, and no one cared.

I sincerely wonder if I even cared a little...

I scarcely wonder whether or not I even knew why.

     I sat square in the middle of my bed. I took out my color pencils and aligned them--side-by-side--by color... Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet---careful to blend them according to the spectrum... 
     I was nearly halfway through the sorting--I have nearly one-hundred different color pencils in various colors, mind you--and my niece, as sweet as the day is long, wandered into my quarters, grabbed a handful of the pencils I had just sorted, and threw them as far as she could. Bless her little heart, she can't throw very far; but this alone sent me into a silent rage. 
     I stared blankly down at the interrupted line of color pencils... red, orange, blue--blue? No... blue doesn't belong there... Yellow, orange... no.... wrong... WRONG--
     I was shocked... so much so that I physically shrank down into myself... I slowly leaned my back against the headboard and brought my knees up to meet my chin. I hugged my ankles and quietly watched as she destroyed what remained of the line of color pencils that I had carefully sorted.
     Before long, a single hot tear rolled down my cold cheek. Somewhere inside, I was truly startled that I had actually begun crying. I hadn't cried in so long... not physically--. Sure, we all cry deep down inside without shedding any physical tears. But, I actually cried... I kid you not... I could have filled three, small shot glasses with my tears by the time I was done--no, by the time I had realized that I was crying over a dissheveled line of color pencils.
     Color pencils...! D: 
Geez...

     Before silently coming apart at the seams, I did manage to dole out this little jewel, though:



-With Love,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment