Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Art of Communication

     I wish I could "get" it together and "keep" it together. He likes you, Jen. Now, take a deep breath... and talk to him already!
     So, here's the deal: I met someone. He's intelligent, witty, humorous--all of these great things. He has to have a pitfall, right? It just so happens that he does! What is this crippling flaw? Ahem, it's "his attraction to me." 
     Yes, yes. I know. I can be quite the self-aware basket case. It almost comes off as paranoia--no, no, wait... It "does" come off as paranoia. So, I often end up questioning myself, asking, "Why me?" When I should really be asking, "Why not me...?" 
     I realize that I tend to count myself out before I've even had time to size up my situation. But this time, no way. I can't say whether I will successfully stay afloat. But, I can try. It will be worth putting forth the effort... right? One thing, though. I have a problem with communication, which is strange, for I can be quite the conversationalist--though I am inherently observant and thus quite silent. 
     Thing is, I get socially awkward--even more so if I'm not entirely keen on each of their temperaments. It's even worse if I'm interested and I actually want to converse. It's at those times I become a blithering idiot. No, really--my thoughts are totally cohesive and filled with curious inquisition--right up until I actually attempt to share that brilliant curiosity. It is then that a wave of incoherent, nonsensical blabber spills from my anxious lips. Pft.
     Human interaction... How hilariously daunting.


With "tongue-in-cheek,"
Jen

1 comment: