Saturday, February 16, 2013

War Inside

     I get a bit despondent when I'm in the city. There, I work for food and board, and I live in an apartment complex which is huddled between other massive complexes--each one the same tone of pallid viridian and terra cotta.
     Each morning, I roll out of bed and open the curtains. My weary eyes, soon filled with light, flutter around sprightly; and my cool skin delightfully absorbs the brilliant light of the morning sun. Then once those few moments have ended and the sun has disappeared behind a rather large cluster of towering pines, I stare down into the scarcely occupied car lot below and sigh... Then, I retire to the bathroom, wash my face, and prepare for "work."
     Work is work, I should say, but it's not what I expected to be doing after graduating from a 4-year institute, Magna Cum Laude--0.1 point shy of achieving the highest academic honors at graduation.
     The low hum of cars whizzing along the road just a few yards away slowly drives me mad... And, I often find myself longing to go home--not to my apartment complex in the city but to my childhood home, complete with wide-open pastures filled with jade green grass, and scarcely traveled country roads which are paved with loosely knitted, washed-out gravel. But when I do get the chance to return home to the country, I slowly begin to realize why I left in the first place...


Seeking Something...
-Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment