Monday, February 4, 2013

Nostalgia

     As a child, I often fantasized of one day living in the city. Being a farmer's daughter and an obvious lover of trees and foliage, somehow the allure of streetlights as radiant as the sun itself captivated me. 
     Some lazy summer nights, after weeks of spending my summer vacation at home, my parents would randomly pack up our bags, load them into the car, and we'd leave our sleepy little hometown behind in the collapsing darkness of night... And to my extreme delight, after hours of sleeping in the backseat, I'd wake up and see in the distance the soft glow of hazy, orange light streaking across the dark heavens of the early-morning sky... 
     The sight of the city elated me then. But now, as a young woman, I long for wide-open, green pastures. My heart aches when remembering the stagnant scent of sweltering pine lingering in the nearly non-existent, sultry wind.
     Now that I'm living my fantasy--now that every night I get to see the brilliant light of the sun trickle down beneath the neon skyline, I've scarcely come to realize that maybe my fantasy was meant to be just that... and not a permanent destination.


Wistfully,
Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment